Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Embrace Your Destiny: Knowledge is Power

Speaking at Toastmasters
I was looking forward to retiring at 55 being healthy, active, and able to do most anything I wanted to do. When I started falling, losing my balance, dragging my right foot and stumbling a lot, I got concerned. What a surprise to be diagnosed with MS at age 50! I argued with my doctor that I was just too old for that disease. Well, after I calmed down and digested the facts he presented, I concluded that Multiple Sclerosis is not good. On the other hand he said it can be managed by me. Okay, I can do that. I set my goal to go after this disease with all the knowledge and positive will power I could muster and see what happens. I knew I could count on my family, my doctor, my colleagues at work and my church family as a strong support system. The rest was up to me.

It's been seventeen years now since I was diagnosed. In the beginning fatigue, pain, stiffness and spasticity and headaches were the norm. My walking was limited to short walks with very jerky motion. Now, I have great energy and vitality. My walking is almost a regular gait. I have eliminated my headache medicine and another medicine for movement. I would say I feel great 98% of the time. So what's the change? That's what this blog is about. 

Over 17 years, I've learned a lot about the disease and about me. My job now is managing me. I embrace the challenge of trying things that are safe, recommended for neurological diseases and especially MS, and fun. I will share what I've learned over time that has worked for me. I will also share my current adventures into some of the new alternative therapies I use for managing myself. Please join me and share your comments, and questions. The destiny begins with drug therapy which is the first big hurdle and decision. 

1 comment:

Featured Post

Embrace the Journey: Have Purpose A Curated Blog

  Working on my blog Do you wake up enthused about your day? Good, then you must have intention and purpose in your life. Research says you ...

Popular Posts